VIETNAMESE-STYLE PORK SKIN TACOS WITH CHIPOTLE NU’Ó’C MȂM AND TOASTED RICE
Photography by Mieko Horikoshi"I love Mexican food and eating with our hands. This is our take on this delicious street food. It’s light, nutty, umami and fresh— easy to make as a creative addition for a gathering of friends." - Andrew Le
Servings: 4 Tacos
- Sauce Pot
- Knife For Cutting Pork
- Small Knife
- Spice Grinder Or Blender
- 10 oz. Pork Skin
- Toasted Rice Powder (Recipe Below)
- Chipotle Nu’ó’c Mȃm (Vietnamese-Style Fish Sauce Vinaigrette) (Recipe Below)
- Pickled Red Onions (Recipe Below)
- 4 Small Flour Tortillas (Corn Tortillas Will Work Just As Well)
- ¼ Cup Roasted Peanuts
- ¼ Cup Cilantro
- ¼ Cup Green Onions
- ¼ Cup Rau Ram (Vietnamese Mint)
- 1 Lime (Cut Into Four Wedges)
Jasmine Rice Powder
- ½ Cup Jasmine Rice (Uncooked)
Pickled Red Onion
- 1 Large Red Onion
- ½ Cup Red Wine Vinegar (Or Apple Cider Vinegar)
Chipotle Nu’ó’c Mȃm
- ½ Cup Water
- 2 Tbs. Sugar
- 3 Tbs. Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice (About Two Limes)
- 3 Tbs. Canned, Smoked Chipotles (Chopped)
- 3 Cloves Of Garlic (Use More Or Less According To Taste)
- ~1/8 Cup Fish Sauce (Adjust To Taste)
Prepare Pork Skin.
- The 10 oz. of pork skin should be clean have no off odor.
- Cut off any excess fat from the pork skin; it can be reserved to make lard for another use or stored in the freezer for up to three months.
- Boil pork skin in 1 qt. of water with a pinch of salt. Cook for 35-45 minutes till soft but not falling apart.
- Once cooked, remove from water and allow to cool for 4 hours (overnight preferred) in the refrigerator. Once cooled it will be firm and easy to cut.
- Thinly slice with a sharp knife; season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle two hefty pinches of toasted rice powder and mix well. If you want more of the nutty flavor of the toasted rice, add more to your liking. Divide into four portions, then reserve on the side.
Prepare Chipotle Nu’ó’c Mȃm.
- Combine water and sugar and bring to a boil. Once boiled, remove from heat. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Allow to cool and reserve on the side.
Prepare Jasmine Rice Powder.
- Place on sheet pan and toast in a 400° F oven for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The rice should be browned evenly.
- Allow to cool to room temperature after done toasting.
- Grind into a powder using a spice grinder or a blender. Reserve on the side.
Prepare Pickled Red Onions.
- Using a small knife, remove the onion’s papery outer layer and cut it in half and slice thin.
- Put vinegar in a pot, and bring to a boil with a small pinch each of sugar and salt. Pour hot vinegar over the sliced red onion and let marinate for 1 hour.
- Reserve on the side.
Prepare Herb Mix
- Mix all cilantro, green onion, and rau ram together and reserve on the side.
Prepare Flour Tortillas.
- Lightly brown both sides in a dry skillet over medium heat. Wrap in a kitchen towel and reserve on the side.
- Place tortillas and a portion of the pork skin on each tortilla.
- Then dress with the chipotle nu’ó’c mȃm. Top with some pickled red onion over the pork skin. Finish garnishing with a pinch of roasted peanuts, herb mix, and a lime wedge on the side.