Photography by Barry Frankel Recipe Adapted from edible Hawaiian IslandsThe shelf-stable ingredients in these burgers make them a go-to for storms, when grocery store shelves may be left bare, but they’re also delicious enough to be eaten all year round. They are easy to make and you can substitute any combination of canned beans and starch that you may have on hand.
- Mortar and Pestle
- Large Bowl
- Plancha / Griddle
- 1 15 oz. Can Garbanzo Beans Drained
- 1 15 oz. Can Sweet Potatoes Drained
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 2 tsp. Dried Parsley
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Dried Lemon Zest
- ¼ Cup Flour
- Salt and Pepper
- Oil for Cooking
- Using a mortar and pestle, grind up garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, and lemon zest.
- Drain beans and potatoes, reserve liquid.
- With clean hands, mix all ingredients in a large bowl and form 4 patties.
- Cook patties on a plancha until cooked and browned on both sides.
- Serve on a bun with ketchup and mustard packets.