AVOCADO FRUIT TOAST
Photos by Monica Schwartz“Avocados are one of my superfoods. I love the simplicity of their creamy, nutty flavor with a few fresh ingredients.” – Chef Lee Anne Wong
Servings: 4 People
- Grill or Cast Iron Pan
- Small Bowl
- Paring Knife
- 2-4 Thick Slices Rustic Multigrain or Sourdough Bread
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Large Ripe Local Avocado
- 1 Ripe Local Grapefruit
- 4 Kula Strawberries (Washed and Hulled)
- 4 Leaves of Tarragon (Fine Chiffonade)
- 4 Leaves of Mint (Fine Chiffonade)
- A Pinch Hawaiian Sea Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper (To Taste)
- Local Honey
- 2 Toasted Macadamia Nuts
- Lightly brush both sides of bread with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and toast on a preheated grill or cast iron pan over medium heat. Flip and toast for 2 minutes on the other side. Bread should have some color and have grill marks. Do not burn.
Prepare Avocado Mix.
- Scoop the avocado flesh into a small bowl.
- Using a microplane, zest a 1”x3” strip of grapefruit zest into the bowl.
- With a paring knife, cut off grapefruit peel, so no pith or fiber remains. Carefully remove the grapefruit filets with the knife, working in between the membranes. Place the filets in a small bowl.
- Take the heart of the grapefruit and squeeze 2 Tbs. of juice into the avocado.
- Season with salt and pepper, then mash the avocado mixture with a fork until it’s chunky but blended.
- Slice strawberries, vertically into ⅛” thick slices.
- Combine with grapefruit filets, toss lightly with tarragon and mint chiffonade.
- Drizzle with a touch of olive oil and a pinch of sea salt.
- Spread the mashed avocado on the warm grilled bread. Top each slice with the strawberry-grapefruit salad. Drizzle with a touch of honey, and sprinkle with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Using a microplane, shave the macadamia nuts over the toast. Enjoy immediately!