(Canoe Crop: `Uala – Sweet Potato & Niu – Coconut)
5 lbs. sweet potatoes
1½ cups of coconut milk
1 tsp. butter
salt and pepper
1 pkg lumpia wrappers
2 eggs, beaten
oil for deep frying
Sweet Chili Coconut Sauce
½ C. sweet chili sauce
1 stalk of lemon grass, minced
2 T. honey
¼ C. coconut milk
1. Steam sweet potato until soft (approx. 30-40 min.); cool and skin.
2. In a small sauce pan, add coconut milk and butter, heat until butter melts.
3. Mash sweet potatoes slowly adding the coconut milk and butter mixture, making sure that the potatoes stay stiff and not too creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Place a single sheet of the lumpia wrapper on a flat dry surface.
5. Add the potato mixture (approx. 3 Tbs.). Roll wrapper into a lumpia, sealing the ends with the beaten egg mixture.
6. Heat oil to 350 degrees, fry lumpia golden brown, cool and drain on a paper towel.
Mix sweet chili sauce, minced lemon grass, honey and coconut milk. Plate cooled lumpia with dipping sauce and enjoy!