SURFING GOAT DAIRY CHEESE TORTELLINI
Served with squash, Kamuela tomato water, herb oil.Photography by edible Hawaiian Islands
- Medium Bowl
- Ring Mold or Pasta Cutter
- Pasta Machine or Something to Roll Pasta Dough Thin
- Food Processor Or Blender
- Sieve or Colander
- 10 Tortellini Per Serving
- 4 oz. Tomato Water Recipe Below
- 5 Cherry Tomatoes 5 Per Serving - Blanched and Skin Removed
- 5 Squash 5 Per Serving - Quartered
- Basil Oil To Garnish - Recipe Below
- Pasta Dough
- 1 lb. Surfing Goat Dairy Cheese
- 2 Cups Parmesan Grated
- 1 Tbsp. Orange Zest
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Zest
- 1 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp. Parsley Finely Chopped
- Kosher Salt To Taste
- 5 lbs. Ripe Kamuela Tomatoes Cored and Quartered
- 2 Tbsp. Salt
- ½ Cup Basil
- ¾ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Prepare Tomato Water.
- Working in batches, put tomatoes in a food processor. Pulse until tomatoes are coarse chopped. Add salt to the mixture.
- Line a sieve or colander with cheesecloth. Transfer mixture to prepared sieve or colander and cover. Chill and allow to drain overnight. Do not press on tomatoes or the liquid will become cloudy. Transfer tomato water to storage container and chill. Discard tomatoes.
Prepare Basil Oil.
- Blanch basil in rapidly boiling water, then shock in an ice bath. Squeeze excess water from the basil.
- In a blender, combine the basil, oil, and salt. Puree until completely smooth.
- Place mixture in an ice bath to chill as fast as possible. Once cold, pour into a chinois lined with several layers of cheesecloth. Refrigerate, allowing oil to pass through the chinois on its own, without applying any pressure. Store oil in a plastic container until ready for use.
Prepare Filling and Tortellini.
- In a medium bowl, mix goat cheese, orange zest, lemon zest, and parsley. Season to taste.
- Roll the pasta into sheets using a pasta machine. Gradually pass the dough through the machine for desired thickness. Be careful not to go too thin or the pasta will be difficult to work with.
- Using a ring mold or pasta cutter cut dough into 2-inch rounds.
- Place 1/2 teaspoon of filling in the center.
- Fold dough over to form a half-moon. Press the edges to seal. Bring the corners of the half-moon together around a finger, overlapping them slightly and pressing them together to secure. Brush dough with water if it becomes dry.
Prepare Dish and Assemble.
- In a pot with boiling water, cook tortellini until tender and hot.
- Meanwhile in a pan, heat tomato water with tomatoes and squash.
- Simmer just until squash is cooked, about one minute.
- Plate tortellini in a bowl then top with tomato water.
- Garnish with vegetables and basil oil.