STUFFED MAUI ONION RISOTTO
- Sheet Pan
- Large Sauté Pan
- Small Bowl
- Micro Plane
- 9 Medium - Large Maui Onions 4 Maui Onion to Julienne, 4 Maui Onion for Plating and 1 Maui Onion for Marmalade
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Cup Arborio Rice
- 4 Tbsp Maui Onion Minced
- 3 Cup White Wine
- 2 Quarts Chicken Stock ( Hot ) Plus Extra For Pick Up
- 4 Tbsp. Butter
- ½ Cup Parmesan Reggiano Grated
- 2 Red Onions Small Diced
- 3 Tbsp. Canola Oil
- 1½ Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- ½ Cup Water
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 1 Bay Leaf
Salt and Pepper
- In a pot combine olive oil and minced Maui onion to sweat.
- Add Arborio rice and lightly toast, deglaze white wine until dry and slowly add chicken stock while stirring. Rice should be al dente.
- Spread on a sheet pan to cool at room temp.
Prepare Maui Onion Risotto.
- In a large sauté pan, caramelize minced Maui onion then add a shallow amount of hot chicken stock.
- Add risotto and butter constantly stirring so it gets creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper then finish with Parmesan Reggiano.
Prepare Maui Onion Cups.
- Blanch 4 onions in hot water and hollow out for plate presentation. Reserve warm.
Prepare Red Onion Marmalade.
- Sweat the diced red onions with a small amount of oil until tender, 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except salt & pepper, and turn up the heat.
- Reduce until the liquid tightens up and turns into a thicker syrup. Stir often and be careful not to let the marmalade burn.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to another container and cool at room temperature.
Prepare Chive & Lemon Gremolata.
- Mince 12 chives and reserve in a small bowl.
- Toast an equal amount of panko bread crumbs, cool, add to bowl.
- Using a micro plane, zest a lemon into the bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Just make a small batch to give texture and brightness to the creamy risotto.
Plating and Presentation.
- Fill hollowed-out onions with risotto.
- On a plate, place a heaping spoon of red onion marmalade and then arrange the stuffed onion risotto on top.
- Garnish with chive and lemon gremolata and some chopped scallions.