SPINACH AND ENOKI MUSHROOM OHITASHI
- Large Pot
- Airtight Container
- Bowl For Ice bath
- 2 Bunched Spinach
- 1 Package Enoki Mushrooms
- 1 Piece Dashi Konbu 2" x 2"
- ¾ Cup Mirin
- 8 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Usukuchi Shoyu
- 2 Hand Scoops Kezuribushi
- 1 Tbsp. Salt
- Pour water into a large pot. Add salt, then bring to a boil.
- Rinse spinach individually, then bundle it back together.
- Next, blanch the spinach in the boiling water (stem first), for 15 seconds. Add the remainder part of the spinach (leaves) then blanch for 20 seconds. Strain in colander
- Place in an ice bath for 3 minutes (this helps stop the cooking process). Squeeze out excess water, then cut the ends off. Discard.
- Cut into 1-inch length pieces and set aside.
Prepare Enoki Mushroom.
- Cut ½” off of the bottom stems of the enoki. Discard.
- Cut the enoki in half, separating the stems, then place into the boiling water for 15 seconds. Strain in a colander then cool.
- Add the konbu to the 8 cups of water, mirin, and usukuchi shoyu. Bring to a boil; then remove from heat.
- Add kezuribushi. Let it sit for 5 minutes, then strain.
- Discard the konbu and kezuribushi. Cool.
- Add in spinach and enoki to the dashi to marry together.
- Place in an airtight container and refrigerate overnight. Serve cold.