ROASTED BEANS AND BROCCOLI AND SESAME YOGURT
Photos by Monica Schwartz“Green veggies are part of my daily diet and broccoli is an old favorite (it was the first thing I ever learned to cook for myself.). For an even healthier take on this recipe, simply serve the vegetables steamed or blanched with the yogurt dressing.” – Chef Lee Anne Wong
Servings: 4 People
- 8” Fry Pan
- Heatproof Container(i.e. Mason jar)
- Fine Mesh Sieve
- Large Pot
- Large Bowl
- Small Bowl
- Parchment Paper
- Sheet Tray
Roasted Beans and Broccoli
- 1/4 Cup Garlic Cloves (Thinly Sliced On The Mandolin 1/16”)
- 1 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 lb. Green, Romano, Or Yellow Wax Beans (Ends Trimmed)
- 1 lb. Broccoli Florets And Stems (Trimmed To 2” Pieces)
- 1 Tbs. Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbs. Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbs. Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tsp. Cane Sugar
- Hawaiian Sea Salt (Fine Ground)
- 2 tsp. Sesame Seeds
- 1 Cup Lowfat Greek Yogurt
- Zest of 1/2 Lime
- Juice of 1/2 Lime
- Pinch of Hawaiian Sea Salt (Fine Ground)
- 1 tsp. Local Honey
Prepare Garlic Oil.
- Heat oil in an 8” fry pan, add sliced garlic.
- Stir occasionally over medium heat. When the garlic chips begin to turn light golden brown, strain them out to paper towels, spreading them out (they will harden as they cool).
- Season lightly with sea salt. Allow the garlic oil to cool to room temperature and reserve.
- Strain the garlic oil through a fine-mesh sieve into a heatproof container, such as a mason jar.
Prepare Beans And Broccoli.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil (It should taste like ocean water).
- Blanch the green beans separately for two minutes, drain on paper towels. Dry thoroughly and transfer to a large bowl, still hot.
- Return water to a boil. Repeat the process, blanching the broccoli for 1 minute. Add to the beans.
Prepare And Add Vinaigrette.
- In a small bowl whisk together 2 Tbs. of garlic oil with the sesame oil, soy sauce, balsamic, and sugar.
- Toss the hot vegetables in the vinaigrette and season lightly with salt.
- Spread into a single layer on a parchment-lined sheet tray and place in the oven for 8-10 minutes, until the vegetables begin to caramelize.
Prepare Sesame Yogurt.
- Combine all yogurt ingredients in a small bowl, stir until blended. Keep refrigerated. For more kick, substitute sesame seeds with Szechuan peppercorns.
- Serve vegetables warm with sesame yogurt and top with garlic chips.