Recipe by Stephen Rouelle
Photograph by Anna Pacheco
1 C. tomatoes, fresh diced small
½ C. + 1 Tbs. celery, diced
½ C. + 1 Tbs. carrot, diced
1 Tbs. onion, diced
½Tbs. turmeric, fresh, sliced
1 Tbs. + 1 tsp. parsley, chopped
3 sprigs thyme
¼ tsp. pepper, ground
2 C. water
1 Tbs. olive oil, extra virgin cold-pressed
3 Tbs. Braggs liquid aminos
1 medium zucchini
1 tsp. sea salt
1. For the stock add the tomato, 1⁄2 C. celery, 1⁄2 C. carrots, onion, 1 Tbs. parsley, turmeric, pepper, thyme, Braggs, water and olive oil into a Vita-Mix and blend until smooth. Reserve and refrigerate.
2. For the “noodles,” slice the green skin off the four sides of the zucchini, dice the skin into a fine dice and reserve for garnish.
3. Slice the white of the zucchini in half so you have two 3 in. long rectangles. Slice each piece lengthwise into 1⁄4 in. slices then slice again into 1⁄4 in. long “noodles.” Place the noodles into a plastic or glass container and salt. Gently toss the noodles taking care to not break them.The salt will extract the water and wilt the zucchini into a noodle texture. Pour off excess water after 10-15 minutes; reserve and refrigerate.
4. For the vegetable garnish, dice 1 Tbs. carrot into 1⁄4 in. x 1⁄4 in. fine dice and add to the diced zucchini skin. Dice 1 Tbs. celery into 1⁄4 in. x 1⁄4 in. fine dice; add to the zucchini-carrot mix. Mince the remaining thyme and parsley.
5. To complete, place 8 oz. of stock in a bowl; place 1⁄4 of the zucchini noodles in the center of the stock. Sprinkle around the noodles with the finely diced vegetables and herbs and serve.