RECIPE COURTESY OF HILARY BARBSY
PHOTOGRAPHY BY MIEKO HORIKOSHI
This salad will break down quite a bit once you mix it in the dressing. Very tasty if done a few hours ahead of time to marinate.
RAW CARROT SALAD
- 3 Local multicolored carrots, shaved into thin ribbons with a sharp peeler or mandolin
- 1 Kohlrabi, peeled and shredded
- ¼ radish, watermelon or purple, washed and shredded
- 1 Golden or Chioggia Beet, peeled and shredded. It will oxidize so place into water if prepping ahead of time.
- ¼ Cup chives, thinly sliced
- Small handful of mint, rough chop
- Small handful of cilantro, rough chop, small stems are ok.
- ⅓ Cup ground mac nuts, salted
- ½ Cup lime juice
- zest of 1 lime
- 1" Piece of ginger, shredded on a micro plane
- 1 Clove of garlic shredded on micro plane
- ⅓ Cup + 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp hot water
- 1 tbsp Tamari
- Shake all ingredients in a mason jar to dissolve sugar. Shake well again just before adding to carrot-vegetable mixture
- Mix shredded vegetables in medium mixing bowl. Shake dressing before tossing with carrot mixture. Stack high in a bowl to serve, garnishing with ground macadamia nuts and fresh herbs. Add sea salt & pepper to taste.