Recipe & photography courtesy of William Townsend of Popover Hawaii Hilo, Hawai‘i Island
¾ cup milk
2 tablespoons butter (melted)
2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
½ cup flour
2 tablespoons corn starch
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon pumpkin spice
1. Preheat oven to 450F and place a cast iron skillet or pie pan into your oven while preheating.
2. Blend the eggs, milk and butter in a blender on high until smooth (about 2 minutes).
3. Add flour, cornstarch, salt and pumpkin spice to the blender and continue to blend until just combined.
4. Carefully remove skillet/pie dish from the oven and add 1 tablespoon butter to the hot skillet. Swirl to completely coat the inside of the pan.
5. While the pan is still hot, pour your blended batter into the skillet and return to the oven. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until the edges puff up and turn golden brown.
6. Serve simply with a little syrup, butter, and powdered sugar, or get creative and top with maple-braised pears and nuts, or a quick stir fry of onions, bacon and wilted arugula.