POHOLE FERN SALAD
- Large Bowl
- Small Bowl
- Plastic Wrap
- 1 lb. Pohole Fern
- 1 lb. Cherry Tomatoes Quartered
- ½ Small Maui Onion Thinly Sliced Lengthwise
- 5 Green Onions Green Parts Only - Chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Fish Sauce
- ¼ Cup Soy Sauce Shoyu
- 3 Tbsp. Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Sesame Oil
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- Prepare an ice-water bath by filling a large bowl with a handful of ice cubes and water, and set it aside.
- Wash and remove any little “hairs” from the pohole fern shoots.
- Cut the shoots into 1 1⁄2-inch segments and blanch for 1 minute in a pot of boiling water. Drain the shoots into a colander and immediately transfer them to the ice-water bath.
- Once cooled, drain the water from the ferns and place them in a bowl with the tomatoes, Maui onions, and green onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the fish sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, oil, and sugar until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the mixture over the vegetables and gently toss with your hands.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours before serving.