Photography by Barry FrankelChef Hilary is a Maui Culinary Academy graduate, with a secondary degree in plant-based cuisine. She has been a private chef on Maui for the last 2.5 years serving private clients and retreats island-wide. Her main passion is healthy food preparation and helping clients with food allergies and restrictions."This salad gets rave reviews at the retreats I cook for a few times a year. The dressing doesn’t have garlic, as I have several clients with sensitivities. Add a clove to the dressing if you wish."Featured Farms: Kumu Farms, Ono Farms, and Kahanu Aina Greens
- Salad Spinner
- Sheet Pan
- 1 Bag Kumu Farms Mixed Greens
- 1 Heart of Palm
- 1 Avocado
- 3 Medium-sized Roasted Chioggia Beets
- ½ Cup Toasted Macadamia Nuts
- 1 Bag Sunflower Sprouts
Dressing ( 1 Pint )
- 1 Preserved Meyer Lemon Rinsed Well Before Making Dressing
- ½ Cup Fresh Tarragon Stripped from Thick Stem
- 2 Tbsp. Local Honey
- 1½ Cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper To Taste
Prepare Salad Ingredients.
- Wash and spin salad greens.
- Shave heart of palm, and set aside.
- Dice or slice avocado into strips.
- Peel and cube beets, and roast in a 375-degree oven with avocado oil, salt, and thyme for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Place raw macadamia nuts on a sheet tray. Bake in a 350-degree oven until toasted, 5-7 minutes.
- Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender (such as a Vitamix or Blendtech), and blend for 15 seconds or until smooth.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Thin the dressing with a splash of water if it is too thick.
Assemble and Serve.
- Place greens into a salad bowl with some of the beets, heart of palm, and sprouts.
- Toss with 3 tablespoons of dressing to start and add more to your liking.
- Place onto plates and garnish with additional ingredients.
- Grind fresh sea salt and black pepper over the top.