MAKE YOUR OWN BONE BROTH
Photo by Dania KatzBone broth is a mineral-rich infusion made by boiling the bones of healthy animals with vegetables, spices, and herbs. You’ll find a large stockpot of bone broth simmering in many kitchens. It has great culinary uses and unparalleled flavor, but it is also a powerful health tonic that can be easily added to your family’s diet. Bone broth is a traditional food that your grandmother most likely made. Various cultures around the world still consume bone broth regularly as it is an inexpensive and highly nutritious food. Along with its amazing flavor and culinary uses, bone broth is an excellent source of minerals and is known to boost the immune system (chicken soup for a cold, anyone?) and improve digestion. The broth’s high calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus content make it great for bone and tooth health. Bone broth also supports joints, hair, skin, and nails due to its high collagen content. In fact, some even suggest that it helps smooth connective tissue. This delicious broth can be made from the bones of beef, bison, lamb, poultry, or fish, and vegetables and spices are often added. It’s also a great base for many sauces and other culinary dishes.
- Saucepan Or Stock Pot
- Large Spoon
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Celery Stalks
- 2 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Bunch Flat Leaf Parsley
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Whole Peppercorns
- 2 Cloves Peeled Garlic
- Wash and coarsely chop onions, carrots, and celery.
- Add bones and vegetables to a large stockpot and cover with water.
- Reserve apple cider vinegar, parsley, salt, peppercorns, and garlic.
- Simmer on medium heat.
- Remove impurities that float to the top of the broth with a large spoon during the first few hours of cooking. There will be fewer impurities with healthy organic bones.
- Cooking times:Beef Bones = 48 hoursChicken Bones = 24 hoursFish Bones = 8 hours
- Add apple cider vinegar, parsley, sea salt, peppercorns, and garlic in the last hour of cooking. Strain broth.
Bone broth will keep for 5 days in your refrigerator or can be frozen. This recipe can easily be doubled.