RECIPE AND PHOTOGRAPH COURTESY OF CHEF HILARY BARSBY OF HEALTHYMALUICHEF.COM
LOCAL KABOCHA SQUASH SOUP
- 1 Medium Kabocha Squash I used a kabocha and a pumpkin
- 1 local onion rough chop
- 3 local carrots peeled & rough chop
- 3 cloves garlic rough chop
- 2 inch piece of ginger peeled and rough chop
- 4-6 cups Vegetable or Chicken Stock depending on squash size
- 1 tbs Olive Oil
- 1 tbs Garam Masala
- 1 Can full fat coconut milk
- 2-3 tsp sea salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Slice the squash in half and remove the seeds. Place on a sheet tray lined with parchment, skin up for 30-40 minutes or until tender. Set aside to cool. While the squash is cooling, prepare the other ingredients.
- Sauté the onion in olive oil until translucent about 3 minutes. Add ginger and garlic, sautéing until fragrant 1-2 minutes. Add veggie/ chicken stock. Once squash is cool, scoop the flesh out of the skins and add to the warm stockpot. Add garam masala, sea salt and black pepper. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes to infuse flavors.
- Using a Vitamix or high-speed blender carefully add the soup to the Vitamix in small batches (I fill about ½ way with hot liquids) I add about ¼ - 1/3 C full fat coconut milk to the blender while pureeing. If too thick, add a touch more of the cooking stock. Taste, and adjust seasonings before moving to the next batch, if needed.