Recipe Courtesy of Ed Morita, Executive Pastry Chef Na Hoaloha Ekolu
Photography by Jana Dillon
Makes 12-16 servings
1 ½ cups of shortening
1 ½ cups sugar
3 cups of whole milk
12 large eggs
5 7/8 cups bread flour
1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
1 cup of cornmeal
1 cup Kiawe flour
1 ½ cups of brown butter
- Cook brown butter and set aside to cool while mixing the rest of the recipe.
- Cream together shortening and sugar.
- Whisk together eggs and milk.
- Combine sifted baking powder, bread flour, cornmeal and kiawe flour in a bowl with a whisk.
- Alternate adding wet and dry ingredients to the mixing bowl.
- Add brown butter, and mix on low speed until batter is smooth and homogenous.
Store in the cooler until needed.
- Bake in a large dutch oven at 325°F oven for 50 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Serve with guava butter or honey butter