(JEN’S FAVORITE) SHANGHAI SOUP DUMPLINGS
- Large Pot
- 13x9x2-Inch Glass Dish
- Large Bowl
- 2 Rimmed Baking Sheets
- Parchment Paper
- Bamboo Steamer Basket
- 10 Cups Plus 3 Tbsp. Water
- 3 lbs. Chicken Wings, Backs, and Necks
- 1½ oz. Chinese-Style Cured Smoked Ham Cut Into 4 Slices
- ¾ Cup Green Onions Chopped
- 1 Whole Dried Shiitake Mushroom
- 1 Large Garlic Clove Flattened
- 1 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp. Shaoxing Wine Chinese Rice Wine
- 1 Tbsp. Unflavored Gelatin
- 1 Cup Black Vinegar
- 6 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Matchstick-Sized Strips Peeled Fresh Ginger
- 1 lb. Ground Pork
- ¼ lb. Peeled, Deveined Uncooked Shrimp, Finely Chopped
- ⅓ Cup Green Onion Chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 1 Large Garlic Clove Minced
- ¾ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- ½ tsp. Peeled Fresh Ginger Finely Grated
- ½ tsp. Shaoxing Wine
- ¼ tsp. Asian Sesame Oil
- 75 3-inch Square or Round Dumpling Wrappers
- 1 Large Head of Nappa Cabbage Leaves Separated
- Combine all ingredients except for gelatin in a large pot. Bring to a boil, spooning off any foam. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until chicken pieces are very soft and beginning to fall apart, adding more water if necessary to keep chicken submerged- about 2.5 hours.
- Strain soup, discard solids. Return broth to the same pot. Boil until reduced to 2 cups, about 35 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Pour 3 tablespoons of water into a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over. Let stand until gelatin softens. Add hot broth; stir until gelatin is dissolved.
- Transfer to 13x9x2-inch glass dish. Cover, refrigerate overnight.
- Mix black vinegar and soy sauce, add ginger strips in a small bowl.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until just blended. Remove gelatin/soup mixture from fridge and cut into 1/3-inch cubes. Add to pork mixture, stirring gently until incorporated.
- Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Place dumpling wrapper on work surface. Spoon 1 generous teaspoon of filling onto center of wrapper.
- Lightly brush edges of dumplings with water. Bring 1 corner of wrapper up around filling, then pleat remaining edges of wrapper all around filling until filling is enclosed and wrapper forms a bundle shape with small opening at top.
- Gather top edges of wrapper together and twist at top to enclose filling. Place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- Line each layer of bamboo steamer basket with cabbage leaves; place over wok filled with enough water to reach just below bottom of bamboo steamer basket. Place dumplings above cabbage, spacing apart.
- Bring water to a boil. Cover, steam until cooked through, adding more water to wok if evaporating too quickly, about 12 minutes. Serve dumplings immediately with dipping sauce.