HOMEMADE VANILLA EXTRACT
Written by Michelle T.M. Lee.Photography by Mieko Horikoshi.We adore getting creative in the kitchen and love making homemade items that you would normally buy at the store. We usually ask our readers what they use often in their kitchens and what they would prefer to make instead of buying. Makes four 8oz bottles of homemade vanilla extract and can easily be doubled.
Servings: 4 8 oz. Bottles
- Four 8oz Dark Glass Bottles With Tight-Fitting Lids
- 16 High-Quality Vanilla BEans
- 32 oz. HIgh-Quality Vodka
- Slice vanilla beans open lengthwise. Then cut them in half so they fit easily into the bottle. Put 4 beans per bottle.
- Grab a funnel and pour alcohol to cover the vanilla beans.
- Screw on the lid and gently shake once or twice a week. Store the vanilla extract at room temperature and away from direct sunlight. Wait eight weeks then enjoy.