HAWAI‘I COFFEE-RUBBED PORK LOIN WITH SAUTÉED MUSHROOMS, RED PLUM PORT WINE SAUCE AND SHAVED FENNEL
A holiday main.If turkey is feeling too tired for your holiday table, try this alternative offered by EATHonolulu’s Chef David Passanisi. This luscious main features local farm-raised pork, perfectly showcased with Hawai‘i grown ingredients—many featured here in the pages of this magazine.“This rub adds texture and a seasoned depth without overpowering the natural flavor of the pork. We work with fresh, local vegetables on a regular basis. We like produce-based sauces for their better intensity of flavor and great texture. What’s better, they keep your cooking healthier by skipping the butter and cream,” says Chef David.Get tips directly from the pro himself: stop by EATHonolulu in the Gentry Design Center and ask for Chef David.Happy Cooking!
- 30 oz. Center-Cut Pork Loin
- 1 Bulb Fennel (Shaved)
- Hawaiian Sea Salt
- 4 Tbs. Fine Ground Hawai'i Coffee
- 2 Tbs. Dark Cacao Powder
- 1 Tbs. Coriander
- 1/2 tsp. Clove
- 1 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Big Island Cinnamon
- Hawaiian Sea Salt
- Black Pepper (To Taste)
- 6 oz. Mixed Hamakua Mushrooms (Ali‘i, Piopini, And Grey Oyster)
- 1 Drop of Matsutake Extract
- 2 Tbs. Chicken Stock
- 1 Tbs. Butter
- 1/2 tsp. Chive
- Salt And Pepper (To Taste)
Red Plum Port Sauce
- 4 Red Plums (Sliced In Wedges)
- 1 Shallot (Sliced)
- 1/2 Thumb Hawaiian Ginger Root (Sliced)
- 2 Cups Port Wine
- 2 Tbs. Local Honey
- 1 tsp. Local Lemon Juice
Prepare Coffee Rub.
- Mix all ingredients for the coffee rub together.
Prepare Pork Loin.
- Rub pork loin liberally with the coffee rub. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pan sear on high until brown and roast in the oven until it reaches an internal temperature of 145-degrees. Remove from oven and rest 15 minutes.
- Warm pan with butter and sauté mushrooms on medium-high heat for 1 minute.
- Deglaze pan with chicken stock and matsutake extract.
- Bring to boil and whisk in remaining butter and chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Prepare Red Plum Port Sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and cook on medium heat until incorporated, about 10-20 minutes.
- Chill, then blend until smooth.
- Plate pork loin with mushrooms and plum sauce, top with shaved fennel tossed in sea salt.