GRILLED OCTOPUS WITH ROMESCO SAUCE
- Sheet Pan
- Food Processor
- Large Stock Pot
- Grill Pan or Grill or Sauté Pan
- 3 Red Peppers
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Red Thai Chili Seeded and Minced
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 1½ Cup Macadamia Nuts
- ½ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Sherry Vinegar
- 2 Cups Celery Chopped
- 2 Cups Yellow Onions Chopped
- 1 Cup Fennel Chopped
- 1 Thyme Sprig
- 1 Cup Champagne Vinegar
- 3 Cups Dry White Wine
- 4 Quarts Distilled Water
- 2 lbs. Octopus or "Tako" in Hawaiian Head and Beak Removed
- ¼ Cup Salt
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a sheet pan, line with foil and roast red peppers and garlic cloves for 20 minutes. Flip the peppers and roast for another 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool, cut away pepper stems, peel the skins, and set aside.
- In a food processor, puree the Thai chili, and salt until smooth. Add the macadamia nuts, extra virgin olive oil, and sherry vinegar and pulse, so the mixture still has texture. Add the roasted red peppers and garlic and puree just until smooth and set aside or refrigerate overnight.
- In a large stockpot, coat the bottom with extra virgin olive oil, then add celery, onions, fennel, thyme, and sweat on low heat. Add the champagne vinegar and dry white wine, and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add the distilled water and salt, then bring the water to a low simmer. Add the tako into the water, cover the pot and cook for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Once tako is cooked, remove it from the pot and let cool in the refrigerator.
- To serve, heat grill to medium-high and char tako around 1-2 minutes per side.
- In a bowl, add 1 Tbsp of the romesco and 1 tbsp olive oil and mix. Add the tako legs and toss to coat.
- On a plate, add romesco, tako, and garnish with choice of microgreens, lime, and Kewpie mayonnaise.