RECIPE AND PHOTOGRAPHY COURTESY OF KATE WINSLAND AND GUY AMBROSINO
- 1 delicata squash
- Kosher salt
- 3 shallots sliced
- .25 cup olive oil
- .25 cup golden raisins
- .25 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- SQUASH METHOD:
- Cut off one end of each of the squashes to reveal the seeds and core. Using a long-handled spoon, scrape out the seeds and discard (or save for another use). Cut the squash crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Heat a grill or a grill pan over moderate heat. Do not oil the grates of the grill or the pan, but make sure they are very clean. Have a platter and a piece of foil on hand.
- Dry-grill the squash until charred on one side, about 5 minutes, then use tongs to flip the squash and continue to cook until the slices are well browned and almost tender, about 5 minutes more. As the slices are grilled, transfer them to a platter and cover with foil. Season lightly with salt and keep tightly covered while you make the agrodolce.n sheet about 5 minutes before placing on a wire cooling rack until cooled completely.
- AGRODOLCE METHOD:
- Combine the shallots and olive oil in a skillet over moderate heat and cook, stirring from time to time, until softened and golden brown in spots, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the raisins, vinegar, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt and several grinds of black pepper and simmer until the mixture has reduced to a juicy glaze, about 2 minutes.
- Immediately pour the shallot mixture over the squash and let sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour before serving.