- Rolling Pin
- Plastic Wrap
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Electric or Stand Mixer
- 3-inch Biscuit Cutter
- 1/2-inch Biscuit Cutter
- 1 Roll of Refrigerated Croissant Dough
- 1 Cup Melted Butter (Unsalted)
- Local Hawaiian Cane Sugar (Large Granules)
- Vegetable Oil (For Frying)
- 1 Pint of Kula Strawberries (Washed, Hulled, and Thinly Sliced)
- 1/4 Cup Hawaiian Cane Sugar
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- 2 Cans of Full-Fat Coconut Milk (Refrigerated Overnight)
- 1 Piece of Hawaiian Vanilla Bean (Cut Lengthwise, Seeds Scraped From Each Half)
- 2-3 Tbs. Local Honey
- Hawaiian Sea Salt (To Taste)
- Toasted Coconut (For Garnish)
- Working on a lightly oiled surface, unroll the croissant dough and gently shape it into a long rectangle with a rolling pin, about 15”x8”.
- Rotate the dough so the longer side is parallel to the edge of the table. Brush dough with a thin layer of melted butter and sprinkle lightly with cane sugar.
- Visually divide the dough into thirds. Fold in the left side. Brush the top of the folded section with butter and sprinkle with sugar. Repeat with the right side.
- The dough should be tightly folded in thirds now. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 min.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and gently roll out again to a 15”x8” rectangle. Repeat the process two more times, refrigerating the dough in-between and after the last folding.
Prepare Coconut Cream.
- While the dough is chilling, remove the cans of coconut milk from the fridge, flip, and open upside down. Pour off the thin coconut milk into a container and reserve it for future use.
- Pour off the thin coconut milk into a container and reserve it for future use. Scoop the coconut cream into a large mixing bowl. Using an electric or stand mixer, whip the coconut cream until thick and fluffy with medium peaks, about 4-6 minutes.
- Stir in half of the vanilla seeds, honey, and a pinch of salt. Refrigerate until needed.
Prepare Strawberry Topping.
- Place the sliced strawberries in a bowl with the ¼ C. of sugar, lemon juice, and the remaining vanilla seeds.
- Stir until well combined. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Shape and Fry Dough.
- Preheat the deep fry oil to 340°F. Remove the dough from the fridge and roll into a 6”x6” square.
- Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter, cut out 4 rounds. Cut out center holes with a ½-inch biscuit cutter.
- Deep fry the cronuts turning, about 2-3 minutes per side until the dough is golden and evenly cooked. Drain on paper towels.
- Roll in cane sugar while still hot.
- While the cronuts are still warm, whip the coconut cream back to medium peaks. Spoon onto plate and into each cronut hole.
- Top with the macerated strawberries and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- Eat immediately and with gusto!