- Heavy-Bottom Frying Pan
- Heavy-Bottom Medium Saucepan
- Mason Jar
- 2 Cups Peanut Oil
- 2 Bay Leaves
- ½ Cup Chili Powder
- ½ Cup Chili Flakes
- 3 Tbsp. Sichuan Peppercorns
- 4 Star Anise
- 8 Cardamom Pods
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- Over low to medium heat warm up oil and keep warm.
- In frying pan, heat all the spices except salt over medium to low heat just until aromatics are released. Be careful to not brown or burn spices.
- Add spices plus salt to mason jar.
- Carefully pour hot oil over spices.
- Wait for oil to cool, stir gently.
- Using tongs, remove some of the whole spices if desired.
- Once cooled, cover mason jar and store oil in a cool, dark place.
Our Do It Yourself department is meant to inspire and motivate you to make items at home that you would normally buy at the store. To continue our 2019 summer issue theme of COOK and FIRE we wanted to share a condiment we use daily. It’s our version of homemade chili oil. You can certainly make it without all the additional spices but we love the extra depth of flavor. MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with us on Instagram using #ediblehi so we can see what you’re cooking in your kitchen!