- Heavy-Bottom Frying Pan
- Heavy-Bottom Medium Saucepan
- Mason Jar
- 2 Cups Peanut Oil
- 2 Bay Leaves
- ½ Cup Chili Powder
- ½ Cup Chili Flakes
- 3 Tbsp. Sichuan Peppercorns
- 4 Star Anise
- 8 Cardamom Pods
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- Over low to medium heat warm up oil and keep warm.
- In frying pan, heat all the spices except salt over medium to low heat just until aromatics are released. Be careful to not brown or burn spices.
- Add spices plus salt to mason jar.
- Carefully pour hot oil over spices.
- Wait for oil to cool, stir gently.
- Using tongs, remove some of the whole spices if desired.
- Once cooled, cover mason jar and store oil in a cool, dark place.