CHERRY CREAM PIE WITH CALAMANSI BUTTER
Photography by Elizabeth "Betty" McDonald
- Cookie Sheet
- 10" Pie Pan
- Plastic Wrap
- 5 oz. Butter
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 1¼ Cups Flour
- 1½ oz. Butter
- 1 Cup Fresh Cherries
- 3 Cups Frozen Cherries
- ⅓ Cup Sugar
- Zest and Juice of One Lime
- ½ Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp. Corn Starch
- 4 Tbsp. Water
- Pinch of Ginger, Nutmeg, and Cinnamon Optional
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 2½ oz. Butter
- 3 Eggs
- ½ Cup Calamansi Juice
- 1½ Cups Heavy Cream
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
Prepare Butter Crust.
- Cream butter and sugar together and slowly add flour. Mix until sugar is fully incorporated into the butter and dough becomes a pale white color. Spray and flour a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 till golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Allow crust to cool.
- Melt 1.5oz of butter. Crumble the baked crust by hand and add melted butter.
- Press this mixture into a 10” pie pan.
Prepare Cherry Filling.
- Pit fresh cherries set aside.
- Combine frozen cherries, sugar, lime zest/juice, and ½ cup of water in a pot. Cook on medium heat till cherries are soft and juice is bubbling.
- Mix corn starch and water to make a slurry. Slowly add the slurry to the cooking cherries. Cook till thick and clear again. (You might not need the whole slurry, start slow and add as needed.)
- Remove from heat, fold in the fresh cherries. Pour into prepped pie pan.
- Cool in the fridge until topping is made.
Prepare Calamansi Butter.
- Add all ingredients to a pot and stir continually over low heat. Butter will slowly melt and incorporate. Keep cooking and stirring till the mixture is thick and boiling.
- Pour into a container through a strainer and cover with plastic wrap making sure it touches the surface to stop a skin from forming. Allow to cool in fridge.
Prepare Cream Topping.
- Make sure the bowl is very chilled.
- Whip cream, sugar, and vanilla until smooth medium peaks form.
- Fold in calamansi butter and top cherry pie.