CHA CA LA VONG
- Blender or Food Processor
- Sauté Pan
Cha Ca La Vong
- 1 Pack of Vermicelli Noodles
- 8 Ten oz. Fresh Catfish Fillets (Skinned)
- 2 Cups of Dill (Cleaned and Picked)
- 2 Cups of Mint (Cleaned and Picked)
- 2 Cups of Shiso (Cleaned and Picked)
- 2 Cups of Rau Ram (Cleaned and Picked)
- 2 Cups of Onion Sprouts (Cleaned and Picked)
- 100 Grams Shallot
- 300 Grams Galangal (Peeled and Chopped)
- 160 Grams Fresh Turmeric (Washed Well and Chopped)
- 150 Grams Ginger (Peeled and Chopped)
- 25 Grams Dried Turmeric
- 10 Grams Black Peppercorns
- 325 Grams Olive Oil
- 900 Grams Plain Yogurt
- 150 Grams Fish Sauce
- 60 Grams Sugar
Mam Tom Sauce (Make 1-2 Days In Advance)
- 225 Grams Pineapple
- 32 Grams Garlic (Peeled and Chopped)
- 125 Grams Ginger (Peeled and Chopped)
- 98 Grams Mam Tom Bac (Fermented Shrimp Paste)
- 280 Grams Sugar
- 380 Grams Lime Juice
- 215 Grams Fish Sauce
- 1 Can of Coconut Water
- 125 Grams of Chili Sambal Oelek
- 1 Cup Fried Shallots
- 1 Cup Roasted Peanuts (Chopped)
Prepare Mam Tom Sauce (1-2 Days In Advance).
- Blend pineapple, garlic, ginger, mam tom bac, sugar, lime juice, fish sauce, and coconut water till smooth.
- Add the sambal and mix well.
- Store in refrigerator.
Prepare Fish Marinade.
- Blend everything together until smooth.
- Marinate fish at least 4 hours, overnight preferred.
- Once marinated, take out and remove excess marinade.
Prepare Herb Mix.
- Mix all together, reserve.
- Over medium heat, warm a sauté pan with enough grapeseed oil to cover the bottom.
- Once oil is hot, carefully put in the fish and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side till golden brown.
- Once browned, take out of pan and reserve.
- Cook noodles per instructions on package.
- Drain, rinse, cool, and arrange the vermicelli noodles in a bowl.
Plate and Serve.
- Place the cooked catfish on top of vermicelli noodles.
- Sprinkle a spoonful each of fried shallots and roasted peanuts.
- Spread a generous amount of the herb mix on top and serve with the mam tom sauce on the side.