RECIPE COURTESY OF CHEF HILARY BARSBY
PHOTOGRAPHY BY MIEKO HORIKOSHI
CARROT MACADAMIA NUT PIE
- unbaked pastry shell
- 4 cups fresh carrots, peeled and sliced
- 11.25 oz sweetened condensed coconut milk (1 Can)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Dash of sea salt
- 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp butter or non-dairy butter
- Add 2 inches of water to large saucepan. Add carrots. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook until tender approx. 12 minutes. Drain and cool carrots.
- Once cool place carrots, coconut milk, eggs, spices and salt into a high speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. You may have to scrape the sides 1 or 2 times.
- Pour carrot puree into un-baked pie shell.
- Combine Macadamia nuts, brown sugar and butter; sprinkle over pie.
- Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and edges are browned.
- **check the crust edges of your pie after 20 minutes. If they are too dark cover the edges with foil and continue baking.