BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND CURRIED KALE GRATIN WITH LOCAL GOAT CHEESE
- 2 Bowls
- 13”x9” Baking Dish
- Small Pot
- Parchment Paper
- 1½ lbs. Lacinato Kale (Washed and Dried, Cut Into 1/8” Ribbons)
- 3 Tbs. Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice
- 2 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbs. Local Honey
- 1 Tbs. Curry Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Nutmeg (Freshly Grated)
- 1 tsp. Hawaiian Sea Salt
- 4 lbs. Butternut Or Kabocha Squash (Peeled And Seeded)
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese (Grated)
- 8 oz. Fresh Local Goat Cheese
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Cup Half And Half
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter (Melted)
- Cold Butter (For Greasing)
- 1 Cup Lightly Toasted Panko Crumbs
- Hawaiian Sea Salt And Fresh Black Pepper (To Taste)
Prepare Kale Marinade.
- Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, honey, curry powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until well combined, and pour over the kale.
- Toss, cover, and refrigerate for at least one hour, allowing the kale to begin to marinate and break down.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cut squash into large ⅛” thick slices; a mandolin may be helpful.
Prepare Baking Dish and Assemble Gratin.
- Butter a 13”x9” baking dish.
- Place one layer of squash along the bottom, slightly overlapping to create a solid layer.
- Add a layer of marinated kale (about two handfuls), sprinkle two tablespoons of parmesan cheese.
- Repeat, being sure to end with a layer of squash. Gently compress the layers.
Prepare And Add Cream.
- In a small pot bring the heavy cream, half and half, and 4 oz. of goat cheese to a simmer until the cheese melts, whisking until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the hot cream over the gratin, gently shaking the dish so it evenly distributes itself. The level of the liquid should just skim the top layer of squash.
- Dot the top of the gratin with the remaining 4 oz. of goat cheese.
Top and Bake.
- In a small bowl combine the remaining ½ C. of parmesan cheese, panko crumbs, and melted butter, stirring until well mixed. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the mixture over the gratin.
- Create a parchment lid by cutting a sheet of parchment to fit the interior of the gratin dish. Place on top of the breadcrumbs and bake the gratin for 40 minutes until the squash is tender.
- Remove the lid and allow the breadcrumbs to brown, another 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and rest before cutting at least 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!