This recipe for ‘Ulu croquettes is legendary in Hana, Maui thanks to the Hana Hotel’s former Executive Chef, John Cox.
- 3 lbs. 'Ulu (Roasted, Peeled, and Chopped - Preferably Roasted Underground In An Imu)
- 3 Maui Onions (Sliced and Caramelized)
- 7 Garlic Cloves (Finely Chopped and Sautéed)
- 2 Tbs. Thyme (Chopped)
- 2 Tbs. Rosemary (Chopped)
- 4 Tbs. Parsley (Chopped)
- 2 lbs. Kalua Pork (Shredded)
- 1 Qt. Heavy Cream (Reduced to 1 Cup)
- 1 Cup Aioli
- 1½ Cups Braising Liquid or Stock
- 1 Cup Melted Butter (Plus More For Sautéing)
- Salt (To Taste)
- Pepper (To Taste)
- Panko Breadcrumbs
Combine all ingredients except panko, mold by hand into palm-sized croquettes.
Roll croquettes in panko that has been seasoned with salt and pepper.
Sauté in a pan with butter until browned.
Finish by baking in an oven at 300 for 20 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!