RECIPE COURTESY OF CHEF JANA MCMAHON OF JANA EATS
PHOTOGRAPHY BY MIEKO HORIKOSHI
There is plenty of talk about baking these days and if your home is anything like our office, well, we are interested in baking something that everyone can indulge. Thank you Jana McMahon for sharing your recipe! We invite you to make these for someone you love and just like Jana says “don’t tell them it has black beans as the main ingredient”. We invite you to watch her YouTube channel Jana Eats and take a front-row seat and watch her cook!
BLACK BEAN BROWNIES
- 1 15oz Can organic black beans, drained and rinsed well
- ⅓ cup gluten-free quick oats
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup organic agave, maple syrup, or date syrup
- ¼ cup cup organic coconut oil
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract or ½ vanilla bean seeds scraped from the pod
- ½ tsp teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips (use the allergy-free brand with no nuts, soy or dairy)
- Preheat oven at 350F. Grease 8x 8” baking pan
- In a blender or food processor, put all the ingredients except the chocolate chips. The batter needs to be well incorporated and ground up to a smooth consistency.
- Scatter ½ of the chocolate chips on the bottom of the greased 8”×8” pan. Pour the batter on top of the chocolate chips. Scatter remaining chocolate chips over the top of the brownies.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let them cool for about 20 minutes before attempting to cut