Homemade mayonnaise comes together in minutes, requiring just a few ingredients on hand in most kitchens. Get a feel for the simple preparation and skip the store-bought stuff. For flavor, homemade cannot be beat. Actually, it will be beat, but how is up to you—and the topic of heated debate amongst our staff. Blender, hand whisk, immersion blender…we each employed our own technique to whip up this humble, handy condiment. Experiment to find your preference, and you’ll have a great base for easy sauces, dips and salad dressings. Our favorite things to blend into our homemade mayo? Handfuls of fresh herbs, green garlic, chipotle peppers, or curry powder. Happy cooking!
4 egg yolks
1 1/4 C. light olive oil (or other oil of preference)
1/2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
2 Tbs. lemon juice (approx.1/2 lemon or to taste)
1/2 tsp. of dry mustard (optional)
1. Bring all ingredients to room temperature. Separate egg yolks from whites.
2. Place the egg yolks in the blender jar, adding the salt, a splash of lemon juice and a teaspoon of the olive oil. Add the mustard, if using.
3. Give mixture a few quick pulses to start the blending.
4. Very, very slowly drizzle in the oil while blending. This process should take 2-3 minutes.
5. Blend in the rest of the lemon juice. If the mayonnaise appears loose, keep in mind it will further set as it chills in the refrigerator. Tip: If the mayonnaise breaks (separates after the oil is added) it can be saved! Place an egg yolk and 1 teaspoon tepid water in a clean bowl or blender glass. While whisking/blending, slowly add the broken mayonnaise until incorporated, then whisk/blend in about 1/4 cup more oil.